Monday, July 26, 2010

another favorite flower

I love orange.


I first saw butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa) cultivated in a garden when I lived in North Carolina. I tried to grow it there without success. I tried to grow it when I moved back to Kentucky.

Then I started building this house, and after the ground was disturbed (and the grass not cut monthly) for the first time in years, the next summer it was everywhere. Now that I'm living here, though, it's much rarer. There's a lot of milkweed, but very little of its classy relative.


Since it's growing a good distance from the house I brought this one in to look at up close for several days. So far it's the only one. The milkweed does not last at all when you cut it.

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of butterfly weed - it's very pretty!
    The fireweed is in full bloom around here right not - it is also really pretty. I should try to remember to take a picture. In the meantime, I'm going to post more double petunia pictures, because they are pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of butterfly weed until I was in North Carolina, where it's a popular garden plant, but it grows wild here too, I'd just never seen any. It's actually a native plant, not an escaped European.

    ReplyDelete