Friday, December 28, 2012

golden table

I've never used these things together before; in fact I'm not sure I've used them at all, as opposed to displaying them on a shelf somewhere. Both the candle holders and the bowl (dish? jar? container?) were golden wedding gifts to my grandmother (and my grandfather, too, technically, but these were from friends of hers). I never noticed how close in tone to the wood they were until I tried to photograph them.



This is how I set the table for my supper on winter solstice night. All that sunshine color was very satisfying. I didn't even need to light the candles.


7 comments:

  1. It looks like many a comforting meal and joyous occasion have been enjoyed around that table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are just lovely Mary Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty. Love the colours together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dish has begun to remind me of Cinderella's pumpkin, caught about halfway in its transformation from coach to pumpkin.

    This is why I love having a lot of meaningful Stuff. New aspects and combinations always appearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the drop leaf table! It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a copy of one that my parents were given when they first rented an unfurnished apartment. That one was layers thick with black buggy paint and had stood in my grandparent's kitchen with the water buckets on it for decades. When my father began stripping the paint off he discovered the frame was cherry, and had been a drop leaf originally, so he found someone to make a cherry top for it to replace the pine that was under the paint. Then years later he got a skilled carpenter to build a copy, so we could have more than six people eat at once.

    ReplyDelete