Thursday, October 25, 2012

fall violets

I've found lots of violet leaves in the grass at the new place, but only yesterday and today did I find any blooming in confusion at the continuing warm weather. I brought one in yesterday, and it withered before I could take its picture, so as soon as I picked these two (while mowing the grass) I got out the camera.



A promise of spring before the cold weather even settles in. (It flirted with us this month, but mostly the cold has had other places to be. I'm writing this on the deck in shirt sleeves just at sunset.)

6 comments:

  1. When my daughter was little she thought violets only grew were fairies danced. I am glad you have fairies at your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One good thing about being where I am, and the weather we've been having... don't have to mow the lawn.
    That said, I am jealous of your violets, and of you sitting on the deck in shirtsleeves. I could go out and sit on the deck, but I'd need a parka, toque and mittens.
    (And I love the idea that violets only grow where fairies danced!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bag Lady, at least you don't have to worry about tsunamis. I don't suppose you felt the earthquake. I will be wearing at least two sweatshirts this afternoon when I go sweep leaves off the deck.

    Daryl, apparently the cobblestones and bricks are the fairies' doorsteps, because the violets love the cracks between them. I hope you will not be in the path of Hurricane Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh. The winds of fifteen to twenty-five miles per hour swept the deck for me. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, too bad, guess the "spring" was fleeting but glad you captured the flowers!

    Great metaphor for something or other.

    ReplyDelete