Tuesday, November 29, 2011

indoor summer

The more time I spend in the two-story greenhouse at Second Job, the more I want one of my own. But I don't want to do the work; I have quite enough work at home outdoors.

I remember Phaelenopsis (however it's spelled!) and Cymbidium for my days as the niece of a florist.



But these guys? I have no idea. They look more like insects than flowers.



The color of the pot is not as much of a match for the dark red of the flowers as it seems through the camera.


Tropical lushness.





9 comments:

  1. Very cool.. those two middle images in particular. The insect-like plant is so unusual and I think the pot matches the bloom colour exactly in the next image. Well, almost. A greenhouse would be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, I think they are some kind of Orchid. Whatever they are they are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything I've seen so far in the big greenhouse is an orchid (well, not counting the oranges, which were flowers before I got there), but there are new things blooming all the time. I can't wait to see what opens next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Thanks for letting us stop & smell the flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crabby, the purplish-pink ones smell like cinnamon. They make me hungry every time I walk past.;

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, they are gorgeous! I especially like the third photo - is that the one that smells like cinnamon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops - can't count. I meant the fourth one. Second to last. The big purplish-pink one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that's the one. Sometimes you can smell them down on the first floor, when there's an indoor breeze, but up close they're really strong.

    ReplyDelete