Wednesday, April 17, 2013

piggy bank

In December of 2011 someone at work gave me a china pig. Cute as he was, I couldn't imagine using it to save coins in, and wasting space somewhere. However, I was inspired to try putting a coin a day (almost, pretty much, just about) into the pig until he was full, and then giving the resulting sum of money to a local charity of my choice. It has taken longer to fill the fellow up than I expected, but this week I found I couldn't fit another coin in. That quarter is wedged in as far as it will go.




So, this week I will take all this to my bank and have it sorted, and then write a check for however much it is to the local (not local to the city where I am now, but local to my former rural home) chapter of Habitat for Humanity, which has impressed me with how much they have accomplished in the less than ten years since the chapter was founded. 


Then I start filling him up again. I will have a long time to select the next donation recipient.

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I have a similar bank... but it's a cow. I should do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't describe clearly the tiny spark of pleasure almost every morning (sometimes I forget; sometimes I actually have no change) of adding one more coin, and looking forward to its eventual destination. I decided when I started this that every time it filled I would choose a different Good Cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the small things, sometimes, that give us the most pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twenty-two dollars and eighty-three cents it turns out to be. Very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete