Wednesday, March 18, 2009

meeting a neighbor

Today I met the only one of my near neighbors I had not already met. I'd met her dogs before, and waved to her horses. Her young lurcher thinks that I only drive along my driveway so she can chase me, and today, taking the garbage container back to the house in the back of the car with the seats down, she followed me all the way and wouldn't go home when her mama called. So I met my neighbor, who was appalled to get here and find her Very Large Puppy in the back of my car refusing to get out. ; )

I did not have a chance to take pictures (I'm sure the sight of a camera would have chased Lucy right out) but try to imagine this eight month old lurcher, not quite full grown, but nearly thirty inches at the withers, wandering around the back of a small hatchback car with its back seats folded up. She could stand up only if she hunched her head down, but she didn't want to get out, she wanted a ride!

4 comments:

  1. That's one way to get to meet your neighbour - kidnap her dog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, the dog was holding the car hostage!
    I normally drive about 20 mph (although keeping my eyes open for Sudden Dog Attacks) and when I have the garbage container in back I can only go about 5 mph, so Lucy decided that if she caught the car, she got to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say she probably chased you wanting to adopt you. You would spend more time with her teaching her that chasing cars is not acceptable. I imagine the neighbor was appalled, however, it's a good thing that you took it upon yourself to tell her about it. The puppy sounds like she's going to eat a cow a day when she grows up! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This afternoon when I got home from town--without any groceries to smell enticing--she followed me all the way home and tried to come in the house. I've been adopted, all right.

    ReplyDelete