Monday, December 3, 2012

door decoration

I got my traditional door decoration up last week, after cutting new greenery for it from my new shrubs.


I have several weather-resistant red bows, but none of them match, or are even the same size, so I chose just one, for the side the mail slot is NOT on.

Let me pull back a little and show the nice federalist broken pediment over the door, very popular in the thirties. (Broken in more than one sense: needs caulking baaaaad!)


And a little farther: most of the house front.


6 comments:

  1. What a stately and attractive entrance, and I'm impressed by use of "Federalist" and "pediment"--sounds like you know quite a bit about architecture.

    Thanks for sharing that info and the lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a welcoming entry!
    I hope you are happy in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your door decoration.... and your entrance. In fact, the whole front of your house is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a pleasure to come home from work to that door four or five days a week (however often I walk.) The farther along I get with the unpacking saga the more I enjoy the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new home. I really like your decoration. One of the tenants in the office building has silver bells about that size on her door (probably plastic) and every time I go past, I want to see if they ring. So far I have resisted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These bells have gold balls inside them for clappers, and being from the sixties they're glass, not plastic, so I can tell you from experience that they go "plink plink" when you swing them.
    Although when the wind swings them you hear more "scratch scratch" from the wicker.

    ReplyDelete