Thursday, December 10, 2009

going overboard

Even though the House Tour isn't a decoration contest, the tour organizers kept asking me (when trying to schedule pictures for the paper) if I'd done any decorating yet, and I kept saying no, because I wouldn't have time until the five days off over Thanksgiving, so I had put a few things up but not much. All this nagging had me going overboard. My usual decoration runs to a tree and a door decoration, and a centerpiece for the table. But gilding the bird's nest got me started.



I put pine cones in things.

I put the cedar I cut off the bottom of the trees in a washtub to keep it from drying out until I could use it, and when the tour organizers brought me the sign-in sheet and looked over the house they liked it and told me not to throw it out. I hope the guests liked it. I thought it was a bit back-country.


Then I put a tree up in what's now the guest room,



in addition to the main tree



and I put pine and cedar in things



and around things



and on things, combined with lights and ornaments as a sort of horizontal tree



Everybody liked the bird's nest, and a great many people walked in and exclaimed "Oh! You have a real tree!" in surprise and pleasure.

5 comments:

  1. A little bit of real green really does go a long way to warm a place for the holidays. You've sure proven that. I like your string of lights along the window ledge too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! I love your natural decorations. You have the coolest ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying the decorations a lot I'm getting home about half an hour before dark these days and not getting time to enjoy my view, so it's nice to have the indoors to look at.

    ReplyDelete