Tuesday, November 23, 2010

scratching tree

A long time ago I mentioned the fallen tree I drive past on the way to work that is the best cow scratching-post ever. I finally took a picture.


The arch is just the right height for scratching backs. Unfortunately no one was using it at the time.
The owner came over to see what I was doing, and I talked to her for more than half an hour about local history and wildlife, and her cattle: Murray Greys, a breed I'd never heard of. http://www.murraygrey.org/

These young bulls had come up to check me out, and to complain loudly that I hadn't brought anything to eat. I think I'm in love.

3 comments:

  1. That scratching post looks fabulous. I am going to have to hide this from our cattle, else we shall have a stampede to your neighbourhood!

    And thanks for posting the link to the Murray Grey cattle! I just may have to mention them to the Rancher as a possibility for our new bull, come the right time. I like the look of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up across the fence from Angus, I have favored them all my life. After half an hour of acquaintance with these gentlemen, I'm ready to change my allegiance. (I was almost ready to load one up in the back of the Jeep right then. A thousand pounds of adorable.)

    The owner was in a serious car accident, and when she finally got home from rehab, she couldn't wait to get out to see the cows. She went out, in her wheelchair, to join the vet and her sister who were vaccinating, and placed herself at the end of the chute. Each cow, she said, turned to greet her as they came out, and quietly walked on towards the feed trough. The vet was impressed.

    ReplyDelete