Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sunday morning coffee with warmth

I only eat in the kitchen (instead of the living room) if I have a fire going in the kitchen stove. Saturday night was going to be very cold, so I kept both fires going. Sitting with my back to the heat--in the sun by the time I get up on days off!--is such luxury.


I was especially grateful I was able to wake up the kitchen fire quickly, because at dawn Sunday morning the temperature was -2F/-19C, more than ten degrees colder than predicted. In the kitchen and living room it was 62F/17C which is well above where the thermostat is set.


Warmth on the outside as well as the inside:

6 comments:

  1. It sure looks cozy and warm... and a tea warmer to boot. I'm curious about the words on the stove. I thought maybe they were German or Yiddish but Google translate isn't helping me out at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're Norwegian. It's a Jo/tul stove. (Pretend I can do fancy scripts in comments and put the slash on the o.) Last time I looked, Google doesn't do Norwegian, so I don't know what it says, either.

    (And coffee. Coffee. I don't do tea. If you visit me, you have to bring your own.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhhhhh fires. Mmmmm. So nice.

    I'm on my way with tea :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bag Lady (who wasn't signed in to the proper account and is too lazy to figure out how to fix that....) says:

    It means something about sitting down at the end of the day by the fire, but I'm not exactly sure.
    Nice stove, though.
    Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, I tried to translate it using Swedish, but I found a Norwegian translator, and it says something about God quenching my thirst..... I think it's probably a well-known poem.... if you are Norwegian.
    If you really want to know, I'll call my Norwegian friend and find out......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to know what it says, yes.

    At the time the house was being built, there was a [let's see if this works] Jøtul [woot! it worked] dealer not thirty miles from here. Two weeks before he installed the stoves he had a heart attack. (I expect his doctor would have had one to know the patient was up on the roof installing stove pipe.) A year later, the business phone didn't answer. I don't think I could easily get a replacement now.

    (Sagan, just bring the tea; there are plenty of pots to choose from.)

    ReplyDelete